The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Questions on 403(b) and 457 Plans Date:  5/21/2004  2:28 PM
Author:  jesserivera67 Number:  41087 of 88504

...when I retire in 3 years, I can accomplish the rollover at that time. Or, I could retire now and give up all of the extra contributions I could make in preparation for the rollover. Or I could leave my present employer (sacrificing the ability to contribute the long-term employee catchup amounts), do the rollover into the IRA, and then go back to work for another employer (or maybe even my current employer).

Here's some sites for you in case you haven't read them already (looks like you have but thought I'd send this any way),,id=96315,00.html

I think the above info should have answers to your questions and if you have read them...I'd give the IRS a call at the numbers at the end of the publications. Taking a brief look at the 403(b) document it seems there is a calculation for the MAC but I didn't see anywhere where it said you could not tack on the 457 max contribution to the 403 max cont. but I would call.

I don't think anyone can answer your other questions but you. I think the first question is what is your goal for retirement? Do you need to contribute of the next three years? (i.e. if you've got enough money to accomplish your retirement goals then what the heck...retire)

Do you need SSN? Do you want to continue working to maximize that benefit? Are you accumulating retirement savings for yourself and for an inheritance perhaps? charity maybe?

It's tough to answer your questions without understanding where you are trying to go. Hopefully the above questions will help get you to those answers.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us