The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/although-i-can-live-well-on-that-im-beginning-to-20817917.aspx

Subject:  Re: Any stress with bare bones? Date:  5/26/2004  7:20 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  573 of 1490

Although I can live well on that I'm beginning to question if living on bare bones would cause me stress?

Money doesn't buy you happiness, but IMO it can reduce stress. I think there are people out there who will never be happy no matter how much money they have, and those for whom no cash cushion will ever be large enough. When you think about it, what we are shooting for is very ambitious. There is so much that is out of our control, yet the very nature of early retirement is our taking control of our future. A bit frightening in and of itself for us control freaks.

I look forward to the point where our nest egg is significant enough that what we earn is gravy. Given medical issues for DH who has been a type I diabetic since the age of 13, we face more uncertainty than most and will have to minimally wait until retiree health benefits are secure, currently at age 55. Since we are both savers by nature, I suspect that means our cash cushion will be significant at that point. However, we will not keep on working that extra year or two for the (insert your favorite luxury here.) The luxury I'm looking forward to most is spending as much time with him as I'm allowed, something which can't be bought.

InParadise
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us