The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-moms-retirement-20831379.aspx

Subject:  My Mom's Retirement Date:  5/28/2004  4:52 PM
Author:  Oracle10g Number:  41109 of 76384

Hi All,

This is my first post, I have had a few trials and have used the "Fool" for about 2 years but this is the first time I've actually signed on as a full member.

I would like to ask about retirement for my Mom, she's 47 years old and she has no pension and no retirement fund other that SS. However she owns a home worth $73K in Grand Rapids Mi, she bought it for $52K. She's put about $10K into it since she's been there. She's decided to sell the hows and live with her aunt rent free (6 Months) to allow her to build capital. She told me she could walk away with $21K in her pocket after closing. She wants to relocate to Portland, OR to preprare for retirement.

She wants to know what are some good short-term investments she can use until she's ready to buy another home and also so long term investments that will reward her even though she is in her late forties. I have my own ideas however I would like to hear what some of you would suggest. If you need any additional infor please ask. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us