The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-that-a-sense-of-urgency-needs-to-be-20834033.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Mom's Retirement Date:  5/29/2004  5:46 PM
Author:  Oracle10g Number:  41113 of 75340

I agree that a sense of urgency needs to be created. My brother (just graduated from U of Oregon Law School) and I have were discussing this last night. His suggestion is that my mother should invest about $4000 into the house (carpeting & siding) and increase the value of the her home prior to the sale, with an estimated time of approximately 6 months to the date of sale.

She also has an offer from a family member to live with them rent free for 6 - 9 months while she saves money.

My suggestion is to do small improvements to the house some that will make a significant increase in market value. Than sell and move in with her aunt for nine months while saving, and preparing to relocate (she has a lot of family in portland). I am considering ING and a sharebuilder brokerage account. In addition, for her long term investment a traditional IRA. That's all I have so far. If the group has any other suggestions please let me know. I thank you all for your time and support.

Sincerely H.Z.S
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us