The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-not-looking-for-no-market-risk-i-could-20848922.aspx

Subject:  Re: Future balloon payment Date:  6/2/2004  9:00 PM
Author:  Loren10 Number:  10224 of 35357

I'm not looking for no market risk. I could achieve "no market risk" by just paying off the mortgage now. A 5% to 7% return requires some risk (obviously).

A straight equity investment (such as a no load index fund) would theoretically yield a 10% return over the long run, but the variabily of such an investment is too high for what I have in mind and a 5 year time frame is too short to reasonably target a 10% return overall. A common stock equity investment would however defer taxes until I cashed out the investment (assuming capital appreciation and no dividends) and it would generate a long term taxable gain.

A 5% to 7% return on an "equity" investment would be a relatively "safe" return by market standards (half the long term average return on US stocks). I'm just looking for ideas here. Preferred stock? Asset backed securities? Hedged equity investments?

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us