The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sprexumm-ill-open-a-ingdirect-savings-account-20864146.aspx

Subject:  Re: Want to give sister retirement and/or down p Date:  6/7/2004  1:54 AM
Author:  FoolishMicheal Number:  72139 of 120800

sprexumm,

- I'll open a INGDirect Savings account for her, as a joint account with both me and my sister on it. She'll be the primary account holder, so that the money is in her name before the wedding. With the ING accounts the only way to get money in or out is to link to an outside checking account. We will link to my checking account only, which should prevent her from being tempted to withdraw money. There are probably legal ways that she could access the money with a lot of effort without going through me, but I think the barriers are high enough. I will fund the account with $17,000 and we have the understanding that money is to be withdrawn only for a house deposit or to fund her IRA.

I am a pessimist and you are more trusting with your sister than I would ever be with my siblings. As the primary account holder, your sister would not require anything from you to close the ING account. She could also try to drain your checking account before closing the ING account. I hope you do not keep much money in the checking account since I think it would be impossible for anyone to be able to tell who made the transfers...assuming you gave your sister the ING account number and PIN.

This brings up another issue with the ING account that you might want to think through. In order to access the ING account, you must enter the account number, PIN, and answer a variety of security questions that change each time you log on. The answers to the security question require the person to know the SSN, date of birth, and zip code of the account holder. Are you or your sister prepared to give up this information to the other?

Mike
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us