The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/susanmb-we-are-about-the-same-age-i-retired-at-20887276.aspx

Subject:  Re: Start taking from savings or file for early Date:  6/11/2004  6:35 PM
Author:  jg4 Number:  41196 of 75649

susanmb,

We are about the same age. I retired at 61 and waited until 63 1/2 to begin SS. I got the calculator from them and computed the difference between 63 1/2 and 65 1/2. It was only about $200/month so I decided to start taking it at 63 1/2.

SS will tell you what the difference will be so that you can make a decision. Taking it early means a reduced benefit, but you have to weigh that against have difficult it will be for you without it.

None of us know how long we will live and if taking it now makes life bearable, do it.

Also, if you decide later that you can work and don't need it, you can tell SS to stop the payments. The payments you don't get will be factored back in at age 65 1/2 so that you would not have lost much benefit by taking it early anyway.

So you can get some relief now and it doesn't permanently reduce your benefit if you decide to go back to work later.

Check all that I am saying with SS, however, as I am not an expert in this.

Best of luck,
JG
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us