The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Start taking from savings or file for early Date:  6/11/2004  7:14 PM
Author:  jg4 Number:  41199 of 88497

I seem to recall reading that once you take the early retirement payments, you cannot change them to the full retirement later.

That's if you take all the payments. If you don't take a payment, it is factored back in at full retirement age. Here is what the SS booklet says:

"If you are under full retirement age and some of your benefits are withheld because your earnings are more than $11,280, there is some good news. When you reach full retirement age your benefits will be increased to take into account those months in which you received no benefit or reduced benefits. Here's why: your benefit was intially reduced 5/9s of 1% for each month you were under age 65 when you signed up for SS. But at full retirement age, we give you back 5/9s of 1% for each month you didn't get a SS benefit because your earnings were too high."

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us