The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/okay-heres-my-take-on-this-call-right-now-and-20910630.aspx

Subject:  Re: Start taking from savings or file for early Date:  6/17/2004  7:14 PM
Author:  rosewine Number:  41252 of 76418

Okay, here's my take on this.

Call right now and make an appointment with SS to find out for sure what your options are. You will have up to 6 months to decide if you want to go ahead and start drawing now or wait. During that 6 months, you can decide to start drawing as of the first time you contact them, and they will pay retroactively.

I contacted them in April, and went in today to complete the paperwork. I will receive payments for the time beginning in April If I'd been paying attention, I'd have contacted them earlier as I was 62 in January and could have received payments retroactive to then. Since I didn't, I can only go back to when I did contact them the first time by phone to make the first appointment.

According to the information I have, the amount of the full benefit is reduced by 5/9 of 1% for each month you start collecting before SSNRA. If you end up finding work and make too much, they will add 5/9 of 1% for each month when you do reach SSNRA.

I also talked to the unemployment office yesterday, and in this state at least, they don't care if I am drawing SS as long as I continue to look for employment.

After some thought, I decided it was a no lose situation and went ahead and filed early.

Rose
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us