The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Great Movies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-more-cynical-explanation-is-that-a-sizable-20912916.aspx

Subject:  Re: I've had it up to here with Michael Moore Date:  6/18/2004  11:55 AM
Author:  Kazim Number:  34577 of 63203

The more cynical explanation is that a sizable minority of Europe is anti-American, and if you put up a poster of a burning American flag, it caters to that audience and excites them.

You're absolutely right, SaintCroix.

That IS cynical.

Any Europeans who are genuinely "anti-American" are probably not going to want to see this movie. It is, after all, an American movie, targeted at an American audience, about what's going on in America, made by an American. A FAT American, even.

On the other hand, a lot of Europeans are also anti-Bush, and I would bet that is a much larger demographic than the anti-American contingent -- who obviously won't care who's president anyway. If they hate America, they'll hate a Kerry America just as much.

I realize that you are pro-Bush and disagree with the movie's message, and I totally support you in that. But you seem to be jumping on a big popular bandwagon these days, which is to conflate "anti-Bush" and "anti-American" as the same thing. By that reasoning, more than half of the voters must have been anti-American in 2000, as are the 50% of people who recently told pollsters that they disapprove of the job Bush is doing overall.

Again, you understand I'm not saying that those 50% are necessarily *right*. But they are entitled to their opinion, as are you. So if you want to say that people must be pro-Bush to be pro-America, well, your opinion is wrong.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us