The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-believe-the-british-state-pension-system-20934472.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: On Fixing Social Security Date:  6/23/2004  5:17 PM
Author:  2old4bs Number:  173901 of 757763

I believe the British state pension system already has this limitation in place... only the first wife can collect on the husband's pension record. Not subsequent ones.

If that's how the British system works, then it's not quite fair--suppose the first marriage only lasted 1 year, and the 2nd 20 years? IMHO, in that scenario, the 20 year wife should take priority over the first wife. I believe here in the U.S. ANY spouse of more than 10 years can collect 50% of the other spouse's benefit. So, if a person were to marry 5 times, and each marriage lasted 11 years, 5 spouses could collect a total of 250% of the original benefit. This is not completely inplausible, given an adult life span of 70-75 years. It seems to me that it's another one of those out-dated 'rules' that doesn't make much sense anymore--perhaps the minimum marriage length should be extended to 20 years (and screw the outraged wives/husbands).

2old

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us