The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Jewish and Foolish

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-only-correction-that-i-would-make-is-that-i-21009350.aspx

Subject:  Re: Arafat interview with Haaretz - sound promis Date:  7/12/2004  4:55 AM
Author:  elann Number:  3469 of 22652

The only correction that I would make is that I believe that the Israelis wouldn't have to confer Jordanian citizenship on the "Palestinian" Arabs because as I understand the Jordanian government already granted all "Palestinians" Jordanian citizenship.

Wrong. Jordan relinquished all claims to the West Bank and its residents before it signed a peace agreement with Israel in 1994.

Furthermore, the notion that you can force another country to grant the Palestinians citizenship or the Palestinians to accept it is ludicrous. And the idea that the Palestinians will voluntarily leave, or that Israel has any right to remove them from their homes by force, is equally ludicrous. It is not only impractical, it is immoral and illegal. Israel's policy has been and will continue to be that no ethnic cleansing is acceptable. There are only two possible choices - annex the land and grant Israeli citizenship to its residents, or let go of the land and let the residents determine their own future. What Elon and you espouse puts Israel to shame and hurts its cause.

Palistinians were about long before Islam was, Jews lived with them, they fled to Egypt and the nomadic people (Arabs) stayed.

Ah, now we have Arafat's nonsense being quoted as fact. When the Jews left Egypt under the leadership of Moses and returned to Canaan there were no Palestinians living there. There were several nations - Amalek, Yevusi, Emori, etc. They were destroyed or immersed into the Israelite nation. The only exception were the Philistines who continued to occupy a portion of the land roughly in the area of the Gaza strip. They had no relation whatsoever to the modern day Palestinians. The Palestinians are descendants of Arab tribes that migrated to the land after the Roman conquest and the exile of the Jews, at the earliest. The Arabs may have actually appeared much later because one thousand years ago the area was inhabited by Nabatians, although I don't have an accurate knowledge of that part of history.

Elan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us