The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-is-a-chronic-illness-ms-that-cant-be-a-21115564.aspx

Subject:  Re: Planning retirement with chronic disease Date:  8/4/2004  10:07 PM
Author:  heatherlynn21 Number:  41852 of 76238

This is a chronic illness (MS) that can't be a guaranteed track, as it affects everyone differently. It's NOT terminal, it's managed by a therapy that my insurance company makes me pay a 20% copay on. And yet, it is disabling, without treatment, although there are people who have this thing, and are running triathlons.;)

I have a health insurance plan that I pay for out of my pocket, and I look to have a "healthy" tax return again for 2004. *sigh* As a contractor, it pays for me to keep my insurance separate, as I tend to switch companies when a good position opens up.

I work in a specialized career (technical writing for pharmaceutical companies), and we're mostly all contract-based. I have a plan to get a full time job, but I can't make it known at the company. The moment you say you want to go full time = no way, jose.

I at least have life insurance through my bank, health insurance, dental insurance.....but I'm afraid I can't get disability until I get that full time job that I can stick with.;)

Thanks for helping me, Chuck. I'm looking forward to figuring out this retirement thing so I can live comfortably in any event. =)

Heather

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us