The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-keep-100-of-my-receipts-but-i-probably-21133481.aspx

Subject:  Re: Do you keep every receipt? Date:  8/9/2004  11:44 AM
Author:  TheBadger Number:  72776 of 121061

I keep 100% of my receipts; but I probably recordkeep a little differently than most. My recordkeeping is done in a combination of Lotus/Excel (for credit card & bank reconciliation) and then I also use QuickBooks for production of financial statements.

As a result, I use a receipt as the source document to record a transaction and then simply dump the paper receipt in an file (2" - 3" per year). Thus, all of my recordkeeping is really electronic & the receipts become a semi-indexed random backup.

This avoids the decision-making process of which to keep & which to pitch & the 2 times per year I really need a receipt (because the toaster broke) I look it up in Quickbooks & I then know which month & year to go find --- it gets me within 1/2". Then, I store all paper receipt files in a transfer box --- when the box gets full, ususally about 10 years, I just throw out the oldest years.

In addition to the above I do keep some other rather obvious files: home improvements; annual tax files with carryforwards, etc. These I keep permanently.

TheBadger

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us