The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-my-system-of-keeping-records-and-important-21134044.aspx

Subject:  Re: Do you keep every receipt? Date:  8/9/2004  1:26 PM
Author:  DWSZ Number:  72778 of 121146

Well, my system of keeping records and important documents has worked extremely well for me for darn near 35 yrs. Over the years I have survived an IRS paper audit and successfully disputed account balances with banks, mortgage institutions and commercial retailers. Funny thing is, I don't know the, "secret" of our success, 'cause when I look through dresser drawers, the closets and other storage areas of our home, I think if the fire marshall were to visit... Well, maybe it's not that bad.

But I know one thing for sure, if I were to ask the DW, "Mom, (everybody calls her Mom) do you remember what we paid for, sold for,...." etc., etc., I'll be darned if she can't find it even it was twenty years ago! I wouldn't even know where to begin a search if I had to look for something the way her, "filing system" is set up!

The DW has been working retail as a cashier since H.S. and progressed to become a bookkeeper over the years. I don't know what the other folks on this board may think but I am a believer that women are more organized the men. When it comes to tax time all I have to say is, "Mom, I'm gonna do taxes today. Can you get me all the stuff?"

It works for us. YMMV!

Best regards,
Duane
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us