The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Moving expenses and taxes Date:  8/10/2004  5:59 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  72785 of 127613

Hi. I am self-employed and my wife and I just bought our first house. We moved from our old rented apartment to our new house which is over 50 miles away and I was wondering if I should save any gas recepits for tax purposes. I know that the IRS says you can deduct the expense if you are moving to a new job, but what is the procedure in a case such as this?

Sorry, but for moving expenses to be deductible they have to be related to a change in employment. See IRS Pub 521.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us