The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Moving expenses and taxes Date:  8/11/2004  8:22 PM
Author:  Fletch52 Number:  72810 of 127753

The rules are a bit more complicated. The new job location must be at least 50 miles farther from the old residence than was the old job location. You won't need gas receipts because you can use the standard rate per mile or the actual cost of gasoline. You can also deduct cost of moving goods, personal possesions, vehicles and pets.

If you have any questions come tax time, just call your local H&R Block office who can advise you more fully.

Self employed persons must perform their services on a full-time basis for 78 weeks during the two years immediately following the move.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us