The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Filing Status Change After Marriage Date:  8/11/2004  8:28 PM
Author:  Fletch52 Number:  72812 of 127753

I am not sure how important the difference on the W-4 will be but you should inform your employer none the less.

With the new tax changes the standard deduction is now double for MFJ compared with the single rate.

The key to selecting your filing status is what was your status on December 31 of the tax year. If you were married you must file either MFJ of MFS unless you can be considered unmarried for tax purposes. This may allow you to file as HOH (Head of Household).

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us