The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Family Fool

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/one-of-the-good-guys-21180701.aspx

Subject:  One of the good guys Date:  8/18/2004  2:04 PM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  6388 of 6776

When your kids get jobs, sometimes you can shape their choice and sometimes you're just happy they got a job. With my kids, sometimes I've had the luxury of being a customer where they work before they've gotten a job(although in those cases, I was asked not to mention any connection when they were applying). Sometimes you just get lucky.

My older son started working in a bike store that eventually went under. He actually had 2 paychecks bounce although they were later paid. The next shop he went to was a store I was totally unfamiliar with. His best friend's mother had used it and suggested he apply there. This was the third summer he's worked there as a bike mechanic. It's independently owned by some very nice people. Over the 4th of July, about 7 people from the shop participated in a mountain bike race in Breckenridge. The owners have a condo nearby and hosted the whole group. This also included a boat's eye view of the fireworks over Lake Dillon. The owners also volunteer help for a charity tour and a midnight tour around the city. This means they pay the mechanics to provide service for anyone who needs it.

My son bought a rack for his car right before he went back to school. Yesterday we were in the shop for one last purchase(his father & I wanted odometers for our bikes.) The owner told my son he had something for him. The owner had made a mistake when calculating the rack price(this was a number of pieces) and had overcharged him. He handed him an envelope with the refund.

I like my son works in a place where people do the right thing - from the top down. We'll be customers there long after my son has moved on.

rad
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us