The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/me-vs-my-parents-40k-debt-long-21268195.aspx

Subject:  Me vs. My Parents $40K Debt (Long) Date:  9/6/2004  2:55 AM
Author:  IslandFoolin Number:  189337 of 310776

Good Day All,

I will try to keep this as concise and to the point as possible however it is an emotional subject and one that has taken up the past few weeks worth of my free time. If you have some time, please read through and lend a hand. If you're strapped for time, bookmark this and come back, I would appreciate it. This WILL be a success story.

Background: Welcome to middle class America, NJ style. I myself am 22 years old, just graduated from college this past May, and have found myself immersed in the desire to learn more about personal finances, investing, and money in general. I have taken on a more conscientious approach to my own money management and have felt and seen the rewards already. This new knowledge led me to realize how poor of a situation my parents are in financially, and furthermore the effect this would have on the future of both my parents in retirement and my sister in her upcoming college years and beyond.

The law of the land has always been that Dad takes care of the money and whenever someone questioned that, the reply would be "Well you've always gotten what you've wanted haven't you? Then I don't see a problem." Now I will do everyone the favor of holding back my rant against my Dad. Lets just say that laziness pervades itself into every step of ones life. Rant over. Heckling and reminding him of all the mistakes he's made has no positive value in the upcoming challenge.

My parents (mainly my dad) have come to term