The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/win-lose-or-draw-ill-call-it-a-draw-again-21270907.aspx

Subject:  Re: Me vs. My Parents $40K Debt (Long) Date:  9/7/2004  12:19 AM
Author:  IslandFoolin Number:  189370 of 310319

Win, Lose, or Draw.... I'll call it a draw.

Again i'd like to extend my gratitude to all of you. While I may not respond to every reply I have carefully read each and written down most for my parents to consider. I sat down with both of them tonight at dinner and talked everything over.

Things I found out that I did not previously know:

* There has not been a new purchase on most of their cards for a long time. Some of the higher balance cards date back 8, 10, 12 years. This switched on a lightbulb. My parents/dad, while he still spends impulsivley, does not do so via credit card. Seems he just has no idea how to handle / repay debt. AKA poor money management skills, but hopefully getting better. I think this is a great reason for me to believe in the following...

* My parents have committed to a change of spending and eliminating their debt. They told me that after we first talked a few weeks ago and they saw everything on paper that it really hit home and made them talk things over. This mainly applies to my dad, the impulse spender. This, coupled with his new vigor to lose weight is, hopeful