The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / 77's Foolish House of Pigskin

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/11-this-is-dauntes-year-hes-looked-phenominal-21299100.aspx

Subject:  Re: Early returns Date:  9/13/2004  8:57 AM
Author:  WonderPup Number:  26804 of 96061

11) This is Daunte's year.

He's looked phenominal this year (including preseason). Look at my posting history, and you'll see I've ragged on him as hard as anyone. Not this year, at least not yet. He's going to have a MVP-caliber season.

12) If Onterrio wasn't getting a vacation I'd wonder if Bennett would see meaningful time again. I'll bet that this is Bennett's last year in Minny.

I don't understand what's going on with the league office on his suspension appeal. It may not get heard for a couple more weeks. I don't understand the delay. But it sure isn't hurting the Vikes, that's for sure.

Keep in mind that a lot of his stats yesterday came from a blown blitz package they sent at the Vikings. Smith released out of the backfield on the blitz, and the nearest defender to him when he caught that pass was 7 yards away--behind him, at that. It was horrible coverage by the Cowboys.

Bennett is signed through 2005, so I think he may be around 1 more year. I think the Vikings would have to get a LOT in a trade to give up an RB, given their need for depth at that position the last few years.

13) Dallas looked disorganized which was surprising. Vinny looked okay though.

The Vikings just broke their spirit early on. Dallas opened the game with the ball, drove at will until the very end and had to settle for a FG. Minnesota got the ball, had it for less than 3 minutes, and punted. Dallas got the ball, drove at will again for a 21 play drive, and then had to settle for a FG again--which they blew, since the holder dropped the ball. Dallas had about a 13 minute to 3 time of posession edge at thit point, and only a 3-0 lead to show for it. The Vikings opened up a lead a few plays later with Smith's wide-open screen TD catch. The Vikings dominated the rest of the way.

Vinny should look good the first few weeks. When he gets banged up a bit, he'll probably slow down a little. But right now he's healthy and can still dissect a defense. I would have rather played them later in the year, but am glad to get this one out of the way.

--WP
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us