The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / 77's Foolish House of Pigskin

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-content-with-the-bears-lots-of-dumb-21299529.aspx

Subject:  Re: Early returns Date:  9/13/2004  10:42 AM
Author:  patchdodd Number:  26813 of 95873

I'm content with the Bears. Lots of dumb penalties and lots of what Lovie referred to as "the pains of growing"...but this is a team that hasn't seen a NFL head coach and offensive coordinator in 3 or 4 seasons.

Amazing stat of the game for me yesterday. Grossman was the seventh new opening day quarterback for the Bears in the last seven seasons. Seventh!

5 games from now we win that game running away...a blocked kick is what turned it for Detroit.

Absolutely a pivotal play but you can't pooh-pooh a loss because of a special teams play. Special teams are on the field about 40% of the time. Take away the excellent return on the punt after the safety too. Without that the Bears aren't in position to throw an interception in the end zone.

I'll go with the 4:1 turnover margin and the 4:1 sack margin.

Five games from now I hope it doesn't take the Lions until the fourth quarter to convert a third down and I hope 'Hands of Stone' Hakim finds a better part of his body to catch a ball with.

Couple more notes:

Seems pretty likely that Kircus will be activated now with Rogers hurt. He was a narrow cut.

The Lions kicked away from McQuarters the whole game until later in the second half when they started kicking to him. The difference? The sun moved around and was mirroring off the skyboxes so Harris was angling the ball in to the sun. McQuarter muffed two catches IIRC.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us