The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  W-2 on Schedule C? Date:  9/15/2004  4:01 PM
Author:  motleync Number:  73316 of 127753

I just picked up a side job as an adjunct professor at Elon University. When I accepted, I requested that I get a 1099 so it'd be easier to deduct the mileage on a Schedule C (as a contractor). However, they put me on a W-2, so it appears as if I'm an employee. Can I still put the mileage and wages (as well as other expenses) on a Schedule C? I'd like to stay off of itemizing the mileage as an 'unreimbursed business deduction' since it's subject to the 2% floor, thereby eliminating most of my deduction. If there's not a way to get it on Schedule C, I know that I'd be allowed to take an above the line deduction of $250 as 'Educator Expenses,' but that's not much. I doubt I'll spend that much anyway (unless mileage could be contrued to be allowed as an educator expense). Anyway, what do you suggest? Thanks for your help.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us