The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: W-2 on Schedule C? Date:  9/15/2004  4:11 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  73317 of 127753

I just picked up a side job as an adjunct professor at Elon University. When I accepted, I requested that I get a 1099 so it'd be easier to deduct the mileage on a Schedule C (as a contractor). However, they put me on a W-2, so it appears as if I'm an employee. Can I still put the mileage and wages (as well as other expenses) on a Schedule C? I'd like to stay off of itemizing the mileage as an 'unreimbursed business deduction' since it's subject to the 2% floor, thereby eliminating most of my deduction. If there's not a way to get it on Schedule C, I know that I'd be allowed to take an above the line deduction of $250 as 'Educator Expenses,' but that's not much. I doubt I'll spend that much anyway (unless mileage could be contrued to be allowed as an educator expense). Anyway, what do you suggest?

I suggest you not teach tax law. <g>

Employee vs. independent contractor isn't dealer's choice. You're an employee, so you're stuck with employee rules. You can (on Schedule A) deduct mileage if you're going directly from one job to another, but that's it.

As for the $250 educator expense adjustment to income, that's a temporary provision that I think has expired, but I'm not sure. Simplification has forced me to wait for the forms until I know what's in play this year vs. last. In any case, mileage doesn't count.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us