The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-money-magazine-article-is-an-example-of-over-21385658.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement planning Date:  10/1/2004  1:22 AM
Author:  iamdb Number:  42532 of 75810

The Money magazine article is an example of over generalization. It might be true if you live in the certain areas of the US, but not in others. In the foothills behind Stanford on the SF peninsula, for example, few portfolios kept pace with appreciation of property, so you would have needed to continually downsize your home to follow Money's guideline. My observation there is over a 40 year period, but I observed similar if not so steep appreciation in LA and Orange counties over the last 60 years. The same holds true in Santa Barbara, especially the most desirable areas. I am sure there are lots of other regions, mostly along our coasts, where property appreciation has out paced general portfolio values. Then, of course, there is the mid west and much of the south where property values seem to stagnate.

db
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us