The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/effect-of-closing-accounts-in-quotpoor-standin-21424711.aspx

Subject:  Effect of Closing Accounts in "Poor Standin Date:  10/9/2004  5:56 PM
Author:  IslandFoolin Number:  190943 of 308782

Good Day All,

As a bit of an update on "Me and My Parent's $40K Debt"... The pension loans came through, and so far $20K+ of credit card balances have been paid. Before this started I persuaded my dad to get copies of his credit report, which he did, and everything was in order.

Now I've read on this board before that closing accounts "in good standing" can have a negative effect on one's credit score. What about accounts that are in not-so-great standing, like my parent's? I warned them about the possible consequences of closing the accounts, but they wanted them "gone". There are a few accounts remaining, and these accounts are ones that have been around for 10+ years. Aside from obtaining their credit score pre and post account closure, is there any way to find out what effect closing these remaining "poor standing" accounts will have?

Thanks,

IslandFoolin
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us