The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-jmc-thanks-for-the-post-quotmy-partners-21431600.aspx

Subject:  Re: 8 years till ER Date:  10/11/2004  5:13 PM
Author:  hjg0989 Number:  2661 of 5069

Hi JMC,

Thanks for the post !

"My partner's parents are getting up there in age and have very few years left where they can travel. I want her to take the nice vacations with them while they are able to go.

So you're talking between now and when you two retire, right?"

Yes, I'm trying to balance between enjoying the present and saving for the future.

"Do you have any similar considerations w/ your parents?"

My Father passed away at age 96 last Thanksgiving. He was a great man !!! My Mother, Brother, Niece and Nephew & I are taking a two week vacation together during Christmas. My Mother is footing the bill. We all talked as a family and decided the best way to spend some of the money my Father amassed is to spend it together as a family. So we are going to try and take some great vacations together as long as my 81 year old Mother is able. My Dad didn't like to travel and my Mom is deciding that she does. This trip is giving us all something to look forward to as the one year anniversary of this death approaches.

"Be sure to factor in extra for care of the pets AND for boarding them when/if you travel. That boarding cost can sure add up."

Wow, are you right there. We have a pet sitter come in to take care of all but one. My youngest Dane, Stanley, is too protective of the house. I just don't trust that he wouldn't bite the pet sitter. We just found a new kennel by the airport. It isn't cheap, ($19 - $24) per day, but it is really convenient.

-helen

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us