The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotim-all-for-laddered-cds-im-just-not-21431925.aspx

Subject:  Re: 8 years till ER Date:  10/11/2004  6:36 PM
Author:  hjg0989 Number:  2665 of 5069

"I'm all for laddered CDs. I'm just not there, yet. I'll move into that phase once DW and I get down to the wire. Right now we have several sources for funds in case of an emergency so the CD ladder doesn't make a much sense to us."

So will you have bonds and laddered CDs once you hit retirement ?

I really agree with you on the emergency funds and CDs. My partner likes the safety of cash and CDs. So, we have 12k in a CD plus about 15k in savings accounts. That's a lot of money given that we both have fairly secure jobs. But, that helps her sleep at night and other than that she has no opinions on retirement savings & strategies. The upside is that she's scottish and very frugal, so what more can I ask for !!!!

I keep thinking that I want to come up with one strategy and stick with it but I am realizing that that isn't going to happen. If interest rates take off like they did in the Carter years I'm sure I will change my tune about bonds. I guess the best thing I can do is be educated and flexible so that I can change with the environment.

Well, if I ever come up with a plan to move money into the CDs I'll post it.

-helen
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us