The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/one-of-the-cheaper-ways-would-be-the-1-two-month-21443484.aspx

Subject:  Re: FICO Score Date:  10/14/2004  12:24 AM
Author:  xraymd Number:  191093 of 308451

One of the cheaper ways would be the $1 two-month trial at www.privacyguard.com, which includes daily reports throughout the trial. Just have to remember to cancel before the two months are up.

Greetings, JonABQ, did you try out this service? What was your own experience with how frequently the credit reports were updated?

I tried out a similar $1 trial with PrivacyGuard from July-Sept (got it through MyPoints and the terms were for a little bit longer). When I did it, the credit reports updated no more than once a month. It took about 6 weeks for the alert feature to kick in to tell me when there were NEW entries on the report but even that was reported essentially monthly. This took me by surprise but the customer service rep verified that the reports were pulled only that often - you could check them every day but they would only CHANGE once a month.

Did you have a different experience?

For me, it was still worth $1. I was wanting to know at that time a little more about how having bought a house was impacting my credit so it was handy to be able to check the 3-in-1 report on line, even if it did not refresh more than once a month. I did not have any required corrections so I did not need to write in about errors on my reports. Finally, I found it easy enough to cancel - I just made sure to do so with enough lead time and I knew the date by which I needed to cancel without any further charges from the customer service rep who told me clearly which should be my stop date (it was about 7 days in advance of the end of the full 3 month trial). It was straightforward to get the name of any rep I spoke with, and to get a cancellation confirmation number.

xraymd

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us