The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Belly Dancin' Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-only-taken-classes-since-this-spring-my-21447855.aspx

Subject:  Re: questions from a beginner Date:  10/14/2004  6:17 PM
Author:  Trini209 Number:  43 of 145

I have only taken classes since this spring. My instructor said some old-time belly dancers think one should never pose in a way that displays the arm pits. Anyone else ever heard of such?

Nonsense. How restrictive that would be. BTW, in Egypt, women remove ALL body hair. They use a method involving a piece of string.

Another question: do most dancers have long hair? Would long as opposed to short and layered hair be more effective?

Yes, most professional dancers have long hair. But there's no law that says you have to.

I have a hard time keeping straps up.

There are lots of ways to arrange your cotuming so that you don't have to worry about straps falling down. For instance, have you tried halter straps? I've also made lots of costumes that have an additional strap that goes horrizontally below the back of your neck and connects the left and right straps. It's also possible that you're just wearing your straps too loose - hike them up and see if that works.

Trini
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us