The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlti-have-to-admit-its-a-little-about-saving-21501883.aspx

Subject:  Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date:  10/26/2004  9:36 AM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  766 of 1491

<<I have to admit it's a little about saving money but it's more about the balancing act that C mentioned. We'd rather spend our money on travel, dinners out, doing lots of things with/for our sons.

Yes, I was "providing ways for people to look at their own habits and perhaps make changes". I have way too many friends who just can't understand how we can retire early with no worry about ever working again if we don't want to. It all comes back to "spending less" while working OR in early retirement in MY opinion.

ceo
>>

Personally, I'm not big on paying other people to entertain me. I look for ways to entertain myself at low cost. Doing my own home repairs and home maintenance are activities I take satisfaction in doing, and keep costs down. For recreation I took up being an adult leader with the Boy Scouts, which provides social contact with good people and a variety of interesting recreational opportunities.

The key here though is not picking making someone else's activities your own, but to look into yourself to find out what makes you tick and what activities you need to be happy, and find ways to satisfy those needs at low cost. If you do that, you can then lead a high quality, satisfying life at low cost.

Two of my drives are 1) to be helpful to other people and 2) to do mechanical kinds of things.

In addition to the activities listed above, I continue to operate my furnace repair business which allows me to get paid top dollar and meet those two needs listed above as well. But my aim with my business these days is to do only the work I am HAPPY to do.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us