The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/not-a-cost-but-a-blessing-a-possibly-better-21538464.aspx

Subject:  Re: How much do children cost? Date:  11/2/2004  12:24 AM
Author:  jtcnet Number:  42960 of 85271

Not a cost but a blessing. A possibly better question to ask (but might get us all in trouble) is what does a spouse cost?

I have two older sons, and looking at some records of college expenses, the actual dollars cost was about $250K (for the one with nine years education) and $150K (for the one with eight years eductation).

My sons tell me that I cannot take it(dollars I assume) with me when I leave this world, so I might as well spend it on them. Now that I am retired - I also want to make sure to try to give my kids extra money now and an appreciation for it - so I can see its use - rather than when I am six inches under.

Thing I learned most from my children is to love no matter what happens. My generation, the baby boomers, don't always end up with the children we saw in Ozzie and Harriet. Children and their peers can reflect the best and the worst ills of our society. Children help us see that we have our own faults - as we see their faults reflected back in us. You cannot calculate the value for this insight.

Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us