The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltsp-personally-im-not-big-on-paying-21539137.aspx

Subject:  Re: ideas on how to retire well on less Date:  11/2/2004  8:09 AM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  775 of 1492

<<SP:

Personally, I'm not big on paying other people to entertain me. I look for ways to entertain myself at low cost.

The key here though is not picking making someone else's activities your own, but to look into yourself to find out what makes you tick and what activities you need to be happy, and find ways to satisfy those needs at low cost. If you do that, you can then lead a high quality, satisfying life at low cost.

Ding ding ding!!!! You sure rang the "truth" bell with that, as far as I'm concerned! We're cut from a similar mold, lad.

If only people could or would stop trying to "run with the herd", look at themselves, look INTO themselves, and ask "What do I really enjoy and want to do?"

Mind you, that does NOT mean being "selfish", necessarily, as you know full well. In fact, it may mean doing a lot of volunteer work, or paid work, or maybe nothing much at all. If you're retired, and happen to love fishing, for example, then go fishing! All day, if you like!

The point is, "Know thyself".

Oh, and VOTE today -- regardless of how you choose to do so!

Vermonter>>

Your post deserves to be repeated, Vermonter. Anytime you can whole heartedly endorse an idea of mine, I figure we're on the right track of finding some wisdom.

And speaking of fishing all day, remember Golfwaymore, who included the number of fish he'd caught each day?

I remember numbers like

Golfwaymore (89)

Golfwaymore (136)

and so on. I think he would echo your sentiments as well.

Perhaps us aging geezers have more of life figured out than a lot of younger people are willing to recognize.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us