The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-you-can-see-youll-get-a-variety-of-answers-i-21661799.aspx

Subject:  Re: What to do with a losing IRA Date:  11/26/2004  7:47 PM
Author:  Fool2Believe Number:  43288 of 76397

As you can see, you'll get a variety of answers.

I would study why your particular investment choices have lagged your wife's, and whether those choices will (may) do well in the coming days. It's a crap shoot to an extent. I have finally started to rebalance our accounts, but like picking individual stocks, I will be wrong with some.

There are certainly low fee IRAs, like Vanguard. Low fees don't guarantee high future returns. I'd see how the fund(s) you're in rate at www.morningstar.com, and study what they actually hold. Many think bonds are going to be bad in the near future. But, dividend reinvestments in a bond fund may level that a bit.

Just my 2 cents. I've sat on several funds for years, losing money, and rebalanced and am now in the plus column. I contribute more of that to a bull market than to my prowess. Tomorrow (or Monday) could change that. Evaluate your risk aversion too.

Not much help, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Good luck,
Mike

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us