The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/rmacdonald-that-is-both-a-true-and-false-21664157.aspx

Subject:  Re: What to do with a losing IRA Date:  11/27/2004  7:40 PM
Author:  Zonties Number:  43314 of 75383

Rmacdonald, that is both a true and false statement. Obviously by losing 50% in the IRA, he made a bad market timing mistake (as did many others by buying then). On the other hand, market timing is very complicated (you will second guess yourself a LOT). I think it is more feasible on a) individual stocks, and , b) if you have a lot of time on your hands.

It is nearly impossible (please believe me) to time a trendless market. However, it is a little easier to time the market if it breaks above a pre dispositioned trading range. For example, if the nasdaq can hold above 2,200- your timings will be greatly favored to the long side.

However, for me, i've done very well buying and holding HGs and making a lot of money. I got angry over the summer and got pissed, and i sold a lot of my hidden gems. they are up a lot more now. But i made most of the (potentially lost) money back through daytrading. BUt now since i am back in school it is much harder to do that. So i guess my market timing experience was fairly unsuccessful.

However there is one thing i have learned. When everyone is bearish, be bullish. When everyone is bullish, be bearish. It is not easy to time the market and my results have been mixed. However many have professed to doing it, and doing it successfully. I am a new trader
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us