The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/newbie-21676861.aspx

Subject:  newbie Date:  11/30/2004  5:46 PM
Author:  hep1974 Number:  43354 of 75402

hello fool community,

i just recently turned 30 and married for almost 6 months now. it's time to put some money away for retirement and save up for the future. i'm a total newbie when comes to this stuff so be patient. i'm just about to open a roth ira for my wife and i. i have several questions regarding retirement. i have read many of the articles on fool.com, but my questions are more specific.

1) which company is the best to open an IRA account with? i'm leaning towards e-trade but will take any suggestions. i like the lack of fees and lack of minimum options to start an account.

2) after opening an IRA, it seems index funds seem to be the best thing to start with. i'm considered to be a low-risk taker. i want to invest in something that will bring solid long-term growth over the 30+ yrs. i do know eventually i will have to invest in some risky stocks. what's the general recommendation? which index funds have good returns? i kind of want to put my money in and don't worry about it for many years.

thanks for reading and appreciate any help or suggestions.

-hep1974

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us