The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hep1974-quoti-do-have-another-question-in-the-21682161.aspx

Subject:  Re: newbie Date:  12/1/2004  3:44 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  43375 of 76078

hep1974: "i do have another question. in the beginning i won't be able to put too much away for retirement because of my current budget. i've read articles that even a little per month is better than nothing. is that true?"

Yes.

"for example, if i put like a measly $50/mo each for me and my wife for the next 30yrs. can i really do much with that?"

Yes. Somewhere around 200k total if your CAGR is 10%. I do not have a spreadsheet designed for monthly investment, but when I run $1200 invested per year for 29 years (i.e., as if you were investing the $1200 on December 31, year-end of each year) I get $196,192.83. Get a 12% CAGR and you would have in excess of $288,000.

"i still have the thinking that "if you don't have much, why invest?" obviously, that's not my plan but if that were the scenario - could it still work?"

It little bit helps, and starting now helps ingrain the decision to invest; waiting until xyz often leads to then waiting for abc, and then def, so that you never really start investing.

Regards, JAFO

thanks for reading...all of you have been helpful.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us