The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-curious-how-you-all-think-i-have-done-with-21740912.aspx

Subject:  Re: Only 27, but... Date:  12/11/2004  3:43 PM
Author:  ResNullius Number:  205236 of 775789

I'm curious how you all think I have done with this first step of my plan? Am I putting too much away too early? Is my math wrong? I would really appreciate any feedback, since I want this plan to start on January 1 of this year.

I think one important consideration is to enjoy your life, both now and in retirement. I would decide how much you need to have an enjoyable standard of living, and then save everything else. Are you putting away too much? I don't know. If you can put away more without compromising the present, then you certainly aren't putting away too much. If you are short changing the present, then you might be putting too much away in the beginning. It's up to you. Many years ago, I decided to live a normal and enjoyable life, and to save everything that wasn't necessary to meet that goal. I retired at age 49. One thing's for sure, it would appear that you and your bride are starting out with a plan in mind, which is the first step to a successful life.

Copyright 1996-2015 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us