The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tmeri-i-think-it-is-a-mistake-to-equate-21741292.aspx

Subject:  Re: Only 27, but... Date:  12/11/2004  6:19 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  205264 of 794854

Tmeri:
I think it is a mistake to equate "having fun" with "spending money."

Right on!...too many have to 'consume' to 'recreate'. If they don't have twin off road bikes, or twin jet-skis, along with the mandatory pickup truck with 'towing package' and trailer for the toys, along with a condo or 'summer home' on a lake where they can use those toys, and sit around and sip 'high end alcholic beverages with a high status name' (insert the ad you remember here) with half naked babes hanging over their shoulders smiling seductively, while dressed in designer clothes/shoes/accesssories, having just received/given loads of diamond jewelry.....and on and on....

Now, xmas consists of 'did you give me that fancy diamond necklace/bracelet/ring?'...or buy me that "SUV or Cadillac or BMW" (insert your favorite brand here...or buy me that expensive 'liquer' (insert your favorite brandhere)...etc.....

Kinds expect $500/apiece in presents....if not a car on their 16th birthday.....as a birthright.....

And expect that families will drop $3000 or $10,000 on 'vacation' to some exotic location, where the young male kid will play with his Ni