The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tmeri-i-think-it-is-a-mistake-to-equate-21741292.aspx

Subject:  Re: Only 27, but... Date:  12/11/2004  6:19 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  205264 of 740222

Tmeri:
I think it is a mistake to equate "having fun" with "spending money."

Right on!...too many have to 'consume' to 'recreate'. If they don't have twin off road bikes, or twin jet-skis, along with the mandatory pickup truck with 'towing package' and trailer for the toys, along with a condo or 'summer home' on a lake where they can use those toys, and sit around and sip 'high end alcholic beverages with a high status name' (insert the ad you remember here) with half naked babes hanging over their shoulders smiling seductively, while dressed in designer clothes/shoes/accesssories, having just received/given loads of diamond jewelry.....and on and on....

Now, xmas consists of 'did you give me that fancy diamond necklace/bracelet/ring?'...or buy me that "SUV or Cadillac or BMW" (insert your favorite brand here...or buy me that expensive 'liquer' (insert your favorite brandhere)...etc.....

Kinds expect $500/apiece in presents....if not a car on their 16th birthday.....as a birthright.....

And expect that families will drop $3000 or $10,000 on 'vacation' to some exotic location, where the young male kid will play with his Nintendo or Game Boy 90% of the time while there, and otherwise will be watching TV.....and the female will be either shopping or watching TV..or complaining she isn't doing either of them.....

Most young folks can't imagine activities without spending lots of money...skiing (with all the accessories required).....using an engine powered something or other.....

Then they become teenagers...taught to consumer and consume and spend money....

Then they go out on their own, and build up debts and more debts and even more while consuming .....

And they never can consume enough to keep up with the Joneses and are never happy...cuz they will 'never have it all'...

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us