The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-wife-and-i-are-both-25-we-have-been-married-21747205.aspx

Subject:  Re: Only 27, but... Date:  12/13/2004  11:47 AM
Author:  cattleman22 Number:  205470 of 753960

My wife and I are both 25. We have been married for 5 years. We are both still in school, I am in a PhD program and my wife is in a Pharm D program. I receive a stipend and my wife works part time. Over the past three years, we have saved around 25% of our limited income. In addition, for each of the 5 years we have been married, we have maxed out our Roth IRA's.

I think the most important thing to do is to manage expectations. I know that my wife and I have whimsically talked about what we might buy once we get real jobs. Currently my car is a 1991 model and hers is a 1993 model. We have talked about getting purchasing newer model used cars once we get jobs. We have also talked about what kind of house we want to purchase. I think we need to keep our expectations lower, so that we don't feel let down when or if we purchase a smaller house or an older used car.

c
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us