The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hey-bill-i-think-youve-had-a-very-hard-day--21790151.aspx

Subject:  Re: nondeductible IRA - Useless? Date:  12/21/2004  5:41 PM
Author:  jesserivera67 Number:  43671 of 76398

Hey Bill,

I think you've had a very hard day. ;-)

Wasn't talking about the Roth. I think it would definitely make sense in a Roth. Whole new set of rules there since you're pulling everything out tax free just like you're saying. I don't qualify for a Roth though so a T-IRA is all I qualify for...non-deductible at that.

non-deductible means that I've got a 401k and make over the specified amount in publication 590. See below for excerpt.

Nondeductible Contributions

Although your deduction for IRA contributions may be reduced or eliminated, contributions can be made to your IRA of up to the general limit or, if it applies, the spousal IRA limit. The difference between your total permitted contributions and your IRA deduction, if any, is your nondeductible contribution.

Example

Tony is 29 years old and single. In 2004, he was covered by a retirement plan at work. His salary is $52,312. His modified adjusted gross income (modified AGI) is $60,000. Tony makes a $3,000 IRA contribution for 2004. Because he was covered by a retirement plan and his modified AGI is above $55,000, he cannot deduct his $3,000 IRA contribution. He must designate this contribution as a nondeductible contribution by reporting it on Form 8606.

Given those requirements I can still contribute up to the maximum to a traditional IRA but I can not deduct it on my taxes later on. I think that was all Mark was saying. I forgot about REIT's though and he's right in that those could and should be left in.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us