The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Some advice please Date:  12/23/2004  3:40 PM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  43695 of 88051

I'm confused. I was led to believe that you could contribute to both a 401k and make tax deductible contrabutions to a traditional IRA. Is this incorrect?

No. If you have a 401k, your contributions to a TIRA are taxable but your earnings are tax deferred. I think there is a low income threshold where both are tax deferred, but I am assuming you are over it.

Who is sure someone else will chime in with the actual threshold amount...
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us