The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/need-suggestions-re-pretax-investments-21801480.aspx

Subject:  Need suggestions re pretax investments Date:  12/23/2004  8:00 PM
Author:  Acroreef Number:  18270 of 25247

Dear Folks:

I am a relatively new investor and have just discovered the great folks at Motley Fool. I have a conundrum. I work for a public entity in Michigan and have $600 automatically withdrawn from my check each month (pretax), and placed into a select-few mutual funds, as required by the plan, (Nationwide). I am allowed to invest money over the 10,000 through Harris Direct, into stocks. One of the problems is that each investment transaction costs $20. Is the following strategy sound?: I will keep $10,000 minuimum required in the Nationwide (mutual funds) and invest any accumulating balance in various stocks. I will invest at least $600 at at time, since the fee for this transaction is approx. 3%, ($20 fixed rate). I will keep the $10,000 in the safest funds possible, because if it drops below 10,000, I cannot invest in stocks again until it gets back to the minimum. Finally, I have no choice but to invest in stocks through Harris.

Thank you kind folks in advance for your time and assistance.
Acroreef
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us