The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 5% Capital Gains Tax Rate Date:  12/26/2004  3:00 PM
Author:  Mark0Young Number:  74937 of 127513

You should note that lowering your taxable income to increase the amount of 5%-taxable gain is very foolish (not Foolish).

If one isn't contributing one's legal maximum to a 401(k) or 403(b) in year 2005, one could Foolishly lower one's taxable income by increasing the 401(k) or 403(b) pre-tax contributions. The Year 2005 pre-tax limit to a 401(k) or 403(b) is $14,000 ($18,000 if 50 or older by December 31, 2005). Specific 401(k) plans may have lower limits as specified by the Plan Document.

One might also consider "bunching" itemized deductions in 2005 if one is itemizing.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us