The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Capital loss utilization Date:  12/26/2004  3:17 PM
Author:  Mark0Young Number:  74938 of 127613

Taking a mortgage on my fully paid of house.
Getting a bigger house using home equity loan .
Buying summer house using mortgage.

None of the above use any of the capital losses. However, if you sell your current house, the amount of capital gains of the house in excess of your exclusion ($250,000 or $500,000) can be offset by the capital losses.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us