The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/where-to-invest-21838442.aspx

Subject:  where to invest? Date:  12/31/2004  2:34 PM
Author:  hep1974 Number:  43799 of 75377

hello fools,

i've finally made the jump to the world of IRAs. i just opened an account for my wife and i at etrade. now that we have opened it, i know i have the daunting task of choosing the best index fund that has no-load, no fees and will provide the best balanced growth for the next 30-35 yrs. acoording to the etrade investing questionare, i ended up being placed in the 3rd highest catergory called "balanced growth" which essestially is basically is a balance of low and high-wisk funds. it breaks down my asset locations to:

large cap: 55%
small cap: 15%
international: 10%
fixed: 18%
cash: 2%

i'm very new to this...i want to "set it and forget it" and just watch it grow throughout the years. i realize i will accept some loss, but hope to end up on top. i do not plan to take anything out for at least 35yrs and when i do take it out, i may deplete most of it throughout the retirement years but also hope to provide some income if possible. am i asking too much?

ok, my question (finally)....i don't have much to start off right now ($150) where should i put my money? i was thinking of a s&p500 index fund, but other than that - have no clue where to put that $150 to good use. HELP!

-hep1974
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us