The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-havent-seen-this-years-numbers-but-one-of-the-21845312.aspx

Subject:  Re: Fidelity ? Date:  1/2/2005  4:44 PM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  43827 of 76418

I haven't seen this year's numbers, but one of the few consistent Fidelity stars lately has been Low-Priced Stock, but that's been closed to new investors for a while now.

My 401(K) is with Fidelity. The investment options I have (about 20 of them) are decent, I guess, but not as good as I'd like. Since I have about a 70/30 stock/bond allocation, usually I just buy Freedom 2020 with the current year's contribution (since that best approximates the asset allocation mix I keep) and then sell it and reallocate/rebalance each year.

I try to keep a similar asset allocation with my 401k as my other tax-deferred investment account. But in '04 my 401k had about an 8% rate of return compared to 14-16% for my other accounts. (But to be fair my 401k didn't have options like emerging markets and REITs which have done very well for me of late.)

What few non-Fidelity options we have in there are among the best performers available to us. They added a small cap fund this year to replace Low Priced Stock for those not currently in it (which is a Morningstar 5-star fund but I don't remember the name) and there's a Pimco bond fund which has done quite well, too.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us