The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/joining-retirement-ideas-21847986.aspx

Subject:  Joining Retirement ideas Date:  1/3/2005  10:43 AM
Author:  patientlyTrying Number:  43840 of 75339

I just got engaged and my fiance and I are beginning to "merge" our investment theories. Currently, I invest 16% of my income into my retirement account through work. He only invests 8% (the max amount our company matches). I'm the one who's been more into investing and so I'm trying to figure out what the best solution for us would be. We both make about the same amount, so figure we should save about the same.
I've heard repeatedly how great Roth IRAs are but haven't opened one myself. So, I looked into a Roth IRA, but if we decide to file jointly, I don't think we'll be able to invest in one of those. Are there other options? How do you decide if you'll be in a higher tax bracket when you retire? Also, I saw that someone mentioned in a different post that with a 401K you have to take it all out in a lump sum when you retire. Did I get this wrong? Will I have to take it all out and pay taxes on it as if I had earned it all that year? I'm 26 and trying to get this all figured out now. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us