The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Determining Annualized rate of return for Po Date:  1/3/2005  12:51 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  43845 of 88053

Fletch52: "I have a question that I have not seen answered on these boards previously and as 2004 has just ended I think it is timely.

For those who contribute to their investments monthly and maybe with a lump sum tossed in here and there, can your investment broker provide you with an annualized rate of return?"

Just do what the Beardstown Ladies did; ignore ongoing contributions and calculate annual gain by using year-end balances. You too might get a book published and make some more money.

Regards, JAFO
(to do the calculation properly, you need to calculate for each period between contributions, and then annualize to a CAGR; if ammounts and periods are irregular, then the math gets to be a PITA)

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us